This isn’t your usual devotional message but I had to stop by and tell somebody, you don’t have to stay in the shape you’re in. Look, I don’t have all the answers but here are ten things that may (or may not) help you. It is my prayer, they do.
1. Get help! Therapy, financial, spiritual, substance abuse, domestic violence, sickness, suicidal, depression … GET HELP!
2. Rebuild your credit. Stop being shame of having to file bankruptcy. However and don’t miss this … once you’re out of it, DON’T GO BACK! Pay your bills before the next due date and it will not go on your credit. Ex. If it’s due on the 2nd, pay it before the 2nd of the next month. Sure, you may get a late fee but it will not affect your credit.
3. Live beneath your means, not above it! Trying to live in a space you can barely afford will put you in debt.
4. TITHE! This may be hard for some of you to do but even if you start small, even if it’s $5 this month, tithe then add $5 next month until you get to where you need to be.
5. Stop getting these check advances and title loans! They are NOT GOOD for you!
6. Change your mindset! You don’t have to have the new Jordan’s, you don’t have to get your nails done every two weeks, you don’t need new bundles every pay-day, you don’t have to eat out, you don’t have to go out and you don’t have to shop at every sale.
7. Cut up those credit card advertisements you get in the mail.
8. Cut up those credit card advertisements for your teenagers/young adults. If you want to build their credit, put them on your card as an authorized user.
9. GET INSURANCE! Life, home, renters, auto, burial, critical care, etc. A tip for parents with teenagers, put them on your auto insurance while they have their permit, it’ll build their history and save you money when they get their license.
10. Teach your children about the value of their name, credit, faith and reputation. A bad record, of any kind, will follow you.
“The seed that fell among the thorns represents those who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life and the lure of wealth, so no fruit is produced.” — Matthew 13:22